Hooking up to the system
Steps to becoming a potential rural water customer:
1. Complete a Rural Water Engineering Application to determine if water service is available.
- There is a $200 non-refundable engineering fee required with the application.
2. The CKRWP approved Engineer reviews the application and makes a recommendation for service to the Cedar Knox Rural Water Advisory Committee.
3. The Committee considers the potential hookup for approval at their regular meeting held the second Thursday of each month.
- Approved applications are valid for 6 months.
- After 6 months the engineering application expires and the engineering application and engineering fee must be resubmitted, and the Committee must approve the application to maintain an active application for water service.
4. Following Committee approval, the applicant and all property owners complete a Water User Agreement, provide an easement (for ingress and egress to the property and for line maintenance), and pay the initial hookup fee.
- If the existing rural water line is not adjacent to the property where water service is requested there will be additional expense to run the line to the property.
- Estimates to extend lines will be provided by the CKRWP contractor.
- Payment of estimated costs for line extensions are due prior to installation.
5. The applicant and CKRWP coordinate line and pit installation.
- Upon installation the water line becomes the property of CKRWP.
6. The applicant is responsible for making service connections from the pit to their point of use.
- The Hookup Fee is $8500.00 for a typical 1 Benefit Unit (1 BU) hookup.
- 1 BU equals 27,000 gallons of water use per month.
- Additional BUs (for larger volume water users as determined by anticipated use) are one-half the hook up price for each additional BU.
- The hookup fee includes a meter pit and pit installation along an existing water line at $8500.00.
- The meter is placed just inside of the property line and the applicant makes arrangements to extend the line to the service location.